Does anyone else feel like this summer is just FLYING by? We are enjoying our summer routine of swimming at the pool, hanging out at the playgrounds, and attending library storytimes, but we could definitely use more variety in our activities :)
If you are looking for something new to do with your kids, I have rounded up some AWESOME websites about Japanese Children’s Games!!
1) あそびきょうしつ (Classroom of Play) is FULL of fun games that children in Japan play! The games are divided into several sections: outdoor games, games using items from nature, parent-child activities, water games, etc. It is all in Japanese but you can probably use Google Translate to read it in your language.
Here are some games that I plan to play with my kids asap!
* あしたてんきにな〜れ (using shoes to predict the weather)
* あしじゃんけん (paper-rock-scissors with your feet)
* いろおに (Color Tag)
* だるまさんがころんだ (Japanese version of Red Light Green Light)
I’ll try to do an individual how-to post on these games sometime. What I LOVE about this website is that there are pictures/photos/animations for each game! That makes it so easy to understand how the game is supposed to be played. The site also has a LINKS page that’s definitely worth checking out!!
2) あそびのひろば (Asobi no hiroba) is another website full of games. It has many games that include singing songs.
3) 集団遊びでからだづくり・友だちづくり (Building our Bodies and Friendships Through Play) is another great website with instructions for play. The games are divided by age: Preschool, Elementary, and Upper Grades. This website has step-by-step photos and video. The photo below is of children playing Oshikuramanjyu/おしくらまんじゅ。
Now stop reading/blogging and go have fun with your kids! Let me know if you try any of these activities :)