Here are some ways you can celebrate the new year (おしょうがつ) Japanese-style with your children:
1) Eat Osechi-ryori (お節料理), ozoni (お雑煮), mochi, soba, and sushi.
2) Ring bells at midnight to get rid of worldly desires.
3) Send New Year’s Postcards(ねんがじょう).
4) Give otoshidama (money) to children :).
5) Write a haiku about the new year.
6) Play games such as hanetsuki, spin tops, fly kites, karuta, and fukuwarai.
7) On January 1st, wake up early to watch the first sunrise of the year. Also, try to remember your first dream of the year.
8) Sing the New Year’s Song (lyrics HERE):
How do you ring in the new year?