Have you all heard of Dino Lingo (dinolingo.com)? I had seen it online and was curious about how effective the program is at teaching children Japanese, so I was thrilled when Dino Lingo contacted me and sent a free Japanese set to try out and review.
Here’s a brief description of the Dino Lingo program from their website:
- Dino Lingo Japanese for Kids is an award-winning language teaching program pedagogically designed for small children.
- This program consists of 5 DVDs, flash cards, posters, books and the parents guide.
- After watching the DVDs several times and playing with the flash cards, most children can easily name everyday objects and understand basic phrases in Japanese.
- Dino Lingo Japanese for Kids is suitable for all children between the ages of 2 to 7 years old.
My package arrived quickly and looked like this:
I received a set of 5 Japanese language learning DVD’s, plus some flashcards. Here’s what each DVD covers:
DVD 2 – Let’s Eat: Food, fruit and vegetables / 35 min.
DVD 3 – Let’s Play: Toys, house items, vehicles / 35 min.
DVD 4 – Let’s Jump: Verbs, actions and nature / 35 min.
DVD 5 – Let’s Learn: Family, body parts, and clothes / 35 min.
There are flashcards for numbers, colors, animals, body parts, etc. There are even more Japanese-learning products to choose from online such as workbooks and posters. My daughter, who knows most of her hiragana, got right to work reading all the words on the flashcards.
Of course, my children wanted to watch the DVD’s right away. My son was excited about all the dinosaurs and vehicles used in the show. They liked the first DVD enough to where we watched it twice in a row. I noticed my 2-year old son saying the Japanese words out loud the second time… so repetition works!
Here are some things I liked about the DVD’s:
- Lots of repetition which is great for younger learners
- I can tell a native Japanese speaker is saying the words
- Kept the kids’ attention
Some areas I thought could be improved upon were:
- The graphics/animations are not up to par with other children’s shows (don’t expect Disney quality)
- I thought there were some wasted minutes between segments with unrelated animations
Here’s a sample video of what the shows are like:
Overall, I am thankful to Dino Lingo for creating this program for teaching children basic Japanese. There really isn’t a lot of resources out there for teaching kids Japanese right now! This set is a great option for a family who wants to expose their children to other languages at a young age (Dino Lingo offers DVDs in MANY languages other than Japanese too). It might be wonderful for a family planning to host a student visiting from Japan, or a bilingual family who wants to expose their children to as much Japanese as possible. I think these DVD’s would also be great to show at a bilingual/immersion language school.
Simply watching these DVDs will not make your child fluent in Japanese (there’s not much conversation in the videos). It is more for building vocabulary. It may not be the best option for families where the parents are native Japanese speakers (that would be like showing Dora the Explorer to a native Spanish-speaking family).
If you are interested in Dino Lingo, there is a Halloween special going on right now! Enter the code TREAT10 at checkout to receive 10% off your oder :) This deal expires on November 1st.