No need to go buy an expensive book for practicing hiragana, there are plenty of free printable worksheets online. Here are a few of my favorites:
1) 幼稚園ねっと – download and print PDF files for all the hiragana characters
2) @Nifty – again, cute PDF downloads to practice writing hiragana
3) あいうえお学習シート – More practice sheets
4) 子育て・ことば育て – even more! This site also has other great printables for preschoolers, such as dot-to-dots.
5) こどもの習い事と家庭学習– great printables, including hiragana flash cards
6) 親 ば か 生 活 術 ＠ Ｈ Ｏ Ｍ Ｅ– hiragana practice sheets in pretty pastels
1) aiueo123 – watch animations of “kakijun”/stroke order for hiragana
2) tofugu – a very good guide on how to learn hiragana
3) chokochoko– a printable PDF for practicing your handwriting
4) Kids-Points.com– printable flash cards
5) Japanese Kana Writing Practice Sheets free PDF download at Lulu by Claus Liepke
6) cgi.hustle.ne.jp/syougaku1.htm#aiueohyou: hiragana practice sheet (also kanji, numbers, etc)
8.) http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/asiantea/diary/?ctgy=4 (to print the practice sheets, right clock on the image and save to your computer first)
9) Happy Fu-Fu
10) Gakuen Gifu-net
12) Flavors of Japan
14. あいうえぶ CUTE illustrations accompany each kana of the hiragana. Printable worksheets.
You can google “あいうえお学習シート” for even more options. Find one that’s your favorite, print, and start practicing! I realize some of the Japanese websites may be hard to navigate for some of you… just click around and you’ll figure it out :)
There are also some great resources on Amazon.com for practicing hiragana:
Looking for Katakana Reources? Click HERE.